There are so many beautiful drives around Wilderness and the further you go, the more places you have to explore! We’ve suggested some short drives and some longer drives so that you can choose according to the time you have available:
Short Drives (30 mins – 1 hour)
1. Take Leila’s Lane behind the Wilderness hotel and proceed up the Wilderness Heights road. At the T junction turn left. 30 metres further down turn left again and proceed ‘til the end for approx. 1km. This brings you to the view site of the MAP OF AFRICA. Return back to the tar road and T junction, and proceed straight ahead on Whites road. This road offers beautiful views over the hilly interior for approx 2-3kms, until it proceeds downhill into Wilderness.
2. Take the road up to the 800 year old yellowwood tree in the forest in Hoekwil. It’s a short walk into the forest to see the tree, then, on the way back, turn right on the Rondevlei road toward the coast till you reach Langvlei at the bottom of the hill. Proceed back in the direction of Wilderness along the lakes. Take time to visit the BIRDHIDE on Langvlei.
3. The Hoekwil Hoopla Route is a 30km journey, driving from Wilderness towards Knysna, up the Serpentine Pass and through the little village of Hoekwil, towards the Outeniqua mountains.
Longer Drives (1-2 days)
1. Millwood Gold Mine – Knysna
Pack a picnic basket and take the old George – Knysna Road, visit the Millwood gold fields and proceed toward Knysna. Return by tar road.
2. Sedgefield/Knysna and Noetzie Castles
Take a drive to Swartvlei beach, Buffels bay, Knysna, Noetzie, which is famous for its castles.
3. Robberg Nature Reserve – Plettenberg Bay
Visit the Robberg nature reserve in Plettenberg Bay.
Inland Day Drives
1. Wilderness / Oudtshoorn / Cango / Caves
Try and leave no later than 10 a.m. and visit Oudstoorn and the famous Cango Caves. The caves ,a national monument is a great place of natural beauty, and natures underground gallery.
2. Wilderness / George / Oudtshoorn / Prince Albert
Leave no later than 9 a.m. and proceed to Oudsthoorn. Otherside Oudsthoorn on the Cango caves road (R328) follow the road over the spectacular Swartberg pass towards the very interesting town of Prince Albert.
Have Lunch and proceed back thru Meiringspoort towards De Rust and Oudsthoorn on the R407 till it joins he N12. Otherside of De Rust buy some sweet wine from Domein Doornkraal before heading back to the Bushcamp.
3. Wilderness / George / Avontuur / Knysna
Leave the Bushcamp, go through George and over the Outeniqua Pass and proceed towards (N9) the Langkloof. Once you reach Avontuur (+- 1hour from George), turn right on the R340 towards the Prince Alfred Pass.
The distance from here to Knysna is approximately 90 km over some spectacular scenery. If you have bicycles – you can go downhill for approx.12 km towards the Vlugt.
If you like nature and mountain biking this is a must! – DEON BING’S FAVORITE.